|| español ||
|The City of Pinar del Rio|
|Cities, towns and places of Cuba|
|San Rosendo Cathedral in the City of Pinar del Rio|
The City of Pinar del Rio is the seat of government of the Province of Pinar del Rio in Cuba. This city is one of the most colorful cities in Cuba. Located at the west end of the island, it was able to develop and maintain its own identity with minor influence of the other cities in Cuba. Although, as all the other cities in the island, the people of Pinar del Rio, called pinareños, are friendly, but not too friendly, and enthusiastic.
|Independence Park in the City of Pinar del Rio|
The City of Pinar del Rio was founded in 1699, although it was settled before then. In 1758 the council in Havana granted Francisco de Rojas a track of land called Rio Feo, next to the hato (a land portion) of Alonso Rojas, Marqués de San Felipe y Santiago. Five months later, a different donation of the same land, named differently, was made to Gaspar Hernández. Due to breach of contract of both men, the council in Havana proceeded to retract the land grants to both of them and, naming the location as Pinar del Rio, Taironas and San Mateo, granted to execute new grants to other people. By 1719 it had changed hands considerably, but by 1699 there were permanent neighbors in Pinar del Rio as proved with the presence of a priest in San Rosendo and a child of Jamaican parents was baptized on August 2.
|Real Street in the City of Pinar del Rio|
In 1710 was erected the first chapel in the Pinar del Rio track, under the advocation of San Rosendo; this date is the one some historian recognize as the foundation of the city. In 1773 the Captain General of Cuba, don Felipe Fonsdeviela, confronted with the need to create a seat of government in the region that latter became the province and had proven to be excellent for the cultivation of tobacco, granted land lots to the neighbors of this location; and this is the third date used bay other historian as the foundation of Pinar del Rio. It was in honor of this Captain General that the town and region was named New Philippines.
|Columbus (Colón) Park in the City of Pinar del Rio|
In 1776 the residence of the Lieutenant Governor was set in the same place of the original settlement of 1699. On a plain near the Organos Mountains by the Guama River, otherwise known as the Pinar del Rio for being next to a large area with pines.
|In the City of Pinar del Rio|
In 1834 the post office building was established, in 1836 opened a primary school, in 1838 a theater, in 1839 a commentary, in 1843 a public clock, a definite theater and a paseo. The municipio was created on 1859 and the settlement received the title of Village.
Population according to the censuses
|Bicitaxis in the City of Pinar del Rio|
During the Independence War of Cuba some important battles took place near the City of Pinar del Rio. The Battle of Taironas was a significant action in which General Antonio Maceo himself participated. Not far from this city, in Cejas del Negro, the bloodiest battle of them all took place, Macao, as he so frequently did, taking the glory on this day.
|In the City of Pinar del Rio|
There are roads that join the City of Pinar del Rio with Viñales and Esperanza, and from there with the Circuito Norte which is a road that runs close to the northern coast of Cuba all the way to the City of Havana. To the west of Pinar del Rio there are roads that go to Guane and from there to other nearby towns. To the south Pinar del Rio is joined by road to the port of La Coloma. To the east there is the Carretera Central and the Autopista all the way to the City of Havana.